Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Potager du Artiste......

I am an avid gardener and a style/design geek. Since years I've been dreaming of a French"Potager du Roi" (Kitchen Garden of the King), or should I say "Garden of the Queen"? Presently, my "Au Potager"garden is a cross between a chaotic cottage, herb, and cutting garden..lettuce lurking through  the pink phlox, parsley enhancing the beautiful, bright yellow daisies, and sage hovering over my nasturtiums. You get my drift. Yes, and of course I use everything I grow, even the stinging nettles,  my gardener friends complain about. 





Taking care of my garden is only one of my passions. Eating the veggies I planted connects me very much to "Mother Earth" and keeps me mindful about the ever so humbling wonders of the Creation. In addition, it's more satisfying tasty.

To some people, a garden suggests veggies planted in straight rows. Flowers are more or less a luxury. But the flowers  have a long history in the "Au Potager" garden. The most important one being the gardens at Versailles, created by Jean-Baptiste de La Quintine the  garden architect  of Louis the XIV, the Sun King. It took five years  create these wonderful ornamental veggie gardens (1678 - 1683). So, I better get moving (literally)  with my garden design.
Compliments of

Audio File - Potager 

2 comments :

  1. What a cool design. Are you going to do it yourself or have landscaping firm do it. I am jealous.

    Happy Gardening

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Queenie how is your garden. I love your design It's artsy. I read up on stinging nettles which leaves me to ask one question? Where do I get a stinging nettle plant? Thanks Can't wait for the next blog.

    Best wishes

    Becky

    ReplyDelete