Sunday, July 4, 2010

This is for you Arlette and Jerry........



 
I have been working 24/7 putting in excessive long, long hours. So, today I decided to take a break, checking if there is anything else but weeds in my garden. I am here to tell you... it's bad. Re-designing my garden into an "Au Potager" garden has prevented me form mulching some of the my garden beds..One of these left alone and sad looking beds, was attacked today. At 4 am I went shopping for some tools and then I  was off to St. Louis mulch, where I am handled like a contractor, because I buy so much of the brown gold.. That you should tell you something.

It's mid morning by now, totally trenched,  my garden friend across the fence and I decided to quit. 

As I was working, Claude Monet, a French Impressionist painter, came to mind. Monet was  probably the most famous artist gardener. His gardens in Giverny/France, about 46 miles west of Paris, are famous to say the least. If Monet would  have not used his gardens for consistent inspiration, the world would  not have the "Water-Lilies" and "Japanese  Bridge with Water-Lilies"

Monet moved to Giverny,, a little village along the Seine, in 1883.Here he designed his famous gardens replete with a water pond,  stacked with water lilies.
According to history the ponds had to be kept meticulously clean. Every morning a helper had to boat around the pond, fishing out all spent blossoms and leaves. The pond was kept in pristine condition.

My trip into art history would have not been complete without thinking of my friends Jerry and Arlette in Nice/France. Small wonders do happen!!!! Bringing my thoughts onto paper, the phone rang . It was Jerry, calling me to wish me a happy 4th of July. Happy 4th of July to you and your family, Jerry!!

Jerry and Arlette were instrumental to help arrange a study tour for 12 students of the Faux Academy to Nice, to work and train with French  fresco artist, Evelyn Sauvage.  We stayed for two weeks, worked hard, learned a lot and got to know Nice and it's inhabitants, who were ever so gracious to welcome "the artists from America" .  Merci!!! Jerry and Arlette.



















3 comments :

  1. Heidi, it has been a long time. Maybe you remember, I was one of your students. Yes, we learned a lot and we had a loft of fun. Remember when the Mayor of Nice took us to this quaint village ( he only did this because he had a crush on you, Missy) They opened the only restaurant for us and we had an awesome lunch. For a moment we were celebrities. Thank you sweetie, to make this trip a lifetime experience.

    Love Sandi and Sister Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi, of course I remember you and your sister. Thank you so much for checking in and sending your e-mail. Let's stay in contact. Still smoking? Remember, we took one of the first transatlantic"none smoking flights" We suffered through the whole flight.; and when we hit Paris we smoked, smoked, smoked and I still do. How about you. I am down to 2 ciggies a day since two months. And that only at the computer, this bad kick... thing. lol

    Fondly

    ReplyDelete
  3. heidi...this is a lovely post and brings back such wonderful memories...there is a little pond near me that has beautiful water lilies every year...i love to visit because it reminds me of this special place...i am going to share this...

    hugs, r
    Rebecca E. Parsons

    ReplyDelete