Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Thrifty Faux Painting Chick

I am committed to blog at least twice a week. It's hard, that "blogging thing" but I believe that there will
be light at the end of the tunnel. Many times, maybe even always, my brain seems to be on overload and not coming up with an blog to post. Everything I read, advises to be yourself. So, that's what I am trying to do. Beside being on overload I have another problem. I am bilingual, thus I have an Austrian accent. I am always afraid to write with an "accent" which in my world is not a "good thing" So, bear with me.

That being said, I would like to share an easy way to change you up-holstered furniture in a flash.


I have this really good living room furniture. It's over forty years old and my cats did a number on it. Just to replace the bouillon fringes would cost me $4000.00 ( NO WAY!!!) I love my cats but there is a limit. See what I came up with


                                                     Here is what you do:

                                                    Step One:  

                                 Collect old chenille coverlets with Fringes 
( king size $ 29..95) 
Or use 12Ft X 9Ft. canvas drop cloth


Step Two
Tug the coverlet around back and arms

Step Three 
Insert PVC pipe between seat and back (ascertains tight constant fit)

Step Four

Secure with safety pins ( make sure the safety pins are invisible)
and 

Voilà

 I don't mind "white" because any time I want to change the cover I can. And, the best.... my cats don't seem to confuse the furniture with a scratching post.
I found this truly cool site check it out and get more ideas 

More Slipcovers and More





Take Care, 






Plays with Paints
Always Colorful, Always Fabulous Finishes













4 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your great idea. I would really try to use this concept. Looks European and I like the European style. Where did you find these coverlets. Could I just buy the fabric?

    Thanks again, can't wait what else you have "up your sleeve"

    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heidi, It's been so long...but I am happy for you how your talent or skill as an artist is finally paying off; you teach while you learn at the same time...I could sense your joy in what you are doing...I haven't lost hope that someday I could still you again and revisit with you "that road of friendship" we had years ago. Sincerely, Let

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still fighting the "blog thing" and have not figured out "how to answer a comment" which I am doing now for the two of you.
    Let, it was sooo good to hear from you. Yes, we need to get together again. Manila would be a good place lol

    Margie, thank you for your comment. I get the coverlet in thrift stores.By now these stores call me when they get a coverlet in.

    Thank you again for your gracious comments.

    Fondly

    ReplyDelete