Saturday, February 6, 2010

Kitchens gone wild.... paper floors, kitchen cabinets, fake tiles and plumbing fixtures Part 1.

Do you ever "think outside the box decorating your home?If you don't you are missing a lot. As a popular local artist and designer and raised among couture fashion designers "thinking outside the box seems natural to me

  • There is no  other way to transform a room quickly and inexpensively but with decorative artistry
  • No wall paper can do what paint, creatively applied, can do. In addition you have something artsy and unique; and the the neighborhood has finally "something to talk about".
Art is never finished, only abandoned (Leonardo da Vinci)

Don't we all know it.I really do not need a kitchen except to make coffee or tea and once in a while like a true bachelorette, I am having dinner over the sink.
From avocado green, to watermelons, to Tuscany old world, to French Country and now to eclectic Transitional; and all that in the last 20 years. I have a very difficult time to decide what style/finish to create in my home. All I know it must be comfy, bohemian and informal (typical artist crib) and representing what I stand for. It's my haven to come home to.


I am in love with my wide plank naturally distressed floor in my family room/library. I won't ever consider selling my home because of this floor;and should I be ever evicted, I'll take my floor with me. This floor fits me to a "T". It also represents a great friendship and sadness and a beloved friend. This friend kept my business card (a postcard)for ten yeas, knowing that if she ever built her "dream home" she would hire me to do all the artwork... and she did. The floor was a gift from her.It used to be the beams of her grandfather's warehouse which were milled into flooring.


Back to my kitchen ...


The original floor was black and white linoleum. Then I painted it mustard yellow and red. It held up for 15 years.(prep is important)





Here is what I did:

  • Sand floor
  • Vacuum
  • Wash with ammonia
  • Apply 123 primer (love that stuff)
  • Let dry
  • Apply base color
  • Measure and tape off 
  • Paint the diamonds. Be wise and mark every contrasting diamond. Believe me I learned my lessons, so nowadays I mark off.
Voilà - you have a "New" floor.

1 comments :

  1. We have been using a similar technique using specially-processed kraft paper on floors, walls, fireplace surrounds (covering brick or tile), and recently have been covering laminate countertops. http://www.arfloors.biz or Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/ArtFloors-Dot-Biz/110001109021336

    Would love to hear your comments or questions!

    ReplyDelete