Sunday, January 17, 2010

What? Yes !!..... Faux Painting with paper.

Yes, you heard it. You can create awesome works of art with brown packing paper. Some of you know about my Louie (LV) luggage. Hey, it was free. I just had to take  it off  the display shelves. Aren't I special?? ☺☺☺

This faux  finish is almost as old as I am ... not really. In 1967 I painted furniture. To save some time rather then stripping, I wrapped the furniture. Which not only gave me a cool finish, it also looked interesting, it was considered "art". I was able to sell the furniture like hot cakes. In today's economy "heirloom furniture" is just as "hot"

Even so the finish is decades old, I consider it as one of our bestseller due to its versatility.It's classic, it's a good thing.

I worked for 18 months for a SF Giants baseball player. The mens' locker room was done in this finish  inspired by Kirk's baseball glove.
This faux finish technique is fun, and easy  to do but very effective and it is one of the samples in the beginning En vogue faux painting class.

Of course you want the technique:

Brown construction paper ( Home Depot)
VOV wallpaper paste        ( Home Depot)
Raw Umber tinted acrylic wax
Rags, rags, rags
Brushes and rollers

Tear paper into irregular pieces
Paste onto the wall
Cover with paste overlay the next piece, cover with paste and so on.
Tricks of the Trade: Save the straight edge pieces for ceiling perimeter, corners and around doorways and remember if you tear small pieces you'll never get done ☺☺☺

Let dry and wax:

Uses: Furniture, walls, floors, accessories, kitchen counters, etc. etc. almost anything.
"Reinterpreting the past – traditional with a twist will be hot in furniture – taking the furniture of the days of old and adding tricks of the trade to put a new face on them."
 "If you have to sum up the hot furniture trends for this year and next – one "word comes to mind – eclectic!

 2010 "hot" furniture trends






0 comments :

Post a Comment