Sunday, May 1, 2011

At Large In Europe - Farmers Market

Recently I spent 4 months in Europe. Many moons ago, I immigrated to the USA. Since then, America has become my home away from home. I love the American way. However, I did not realize how much I really missed some of the European ways. Things, I was not aware of. Something I did not realize on my previous six week visits.


One thing I really miss and missed are the European " Wochenmarkt"
( Open air Farmers Markets). One possibly can't imagine the abundance of fresh and pesticide free flowers, veggies, breads, cheese etc.
I miss my obligatory early Saturday morning drive in my little Porsche Cabrio 356, to the local farmers market. Truth be told, I did not miss many Saturdays. Even at that tender young age, Saturdays never came early enough. Nowadays, me and my lil' red truck have to be satisfied with the local nurseries or flower row for fresh flowers. I miss the happy, colorful abundance of the open air market.

The market is alive.
  • You meet friends and acquaintances.
  • You sample the goodies being offered at almost every stand.
  • It's fun it energizes me.
  • The wares are pesticide free.
  • Most of all the the food is fresh.









Come spring, the number one offering, the Grüne Soße, a delicious summer dish said to be the favorite of German favorite of German playwright "Goethe",(Green Sauce), is also my favorite spring and summer meal, even so it's not Austrian.


Well, I must go and fix some Grüne Soße. C'om on over and have some.
Stay tune, I will give you the recipe in my next post. PROMISE!

Guten Appetit!




0 comments :

Post a Comment