Monday, February 22, 2010

Kitchens gone wild.... paper floors, kitchen cabinets, fake tiles and plumbing fixtures Part 2.



It has been a while.I took this time to come up with a just awesome

Here is an instant fix for a TLC treatment for a linoleum or sub floor.
The Inspiration floor was my Library flooring, which I fell in love with at a  client's home, which was under construction. The flooring came from her great grand fathers first warehouse and was milled into flooring. Absolutely positively gorgeous.

One Saturday morning the door bell rang and lead carpenter was outside with abox car truck and the flooring. The client had given me the flooring for my library including the installation. If I ever move out of my home I will take this flooring along.

Being a creative artist at times, I decided to copy that floor on paper and install in my kitchen. Here are the necessary steps.

Supplies:

Brown packing paper or construction paper ( available at Home Depot) http://www.homedepot.com
1 Gallon of Elmer's Glue
 Scissors, 6" Putty Knife, utility knife, ruler/ tape measure.
Water, sponge/rags
Yellow paint
Acrylic paint Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber and black, black and gray Sharpie

  1. Technique:
  2. Cut strips of paper.
  3. Submerge into water.
  4. Apply glue onto floor.
  5. Paste paste strip and smooth with putty knife
  6. Let dry
  7. Apply 2 coats of yellow paint
  8. Let dry
  9. Wood grain   http://www.fotosearch.com/CSP020/k0204632/ 
  10. Let dry.
  11. Apply three coats of Varnish

You have created tough flooring which also will be a conversation piece and best of all Eco friendly and inexpensive. Almost a "must" floor.



Voila, my floor

4 comments :

  1. I've seen this trick used for countertops. You'd think it wouldn't be tough enough, but it really does stand up as long as you let each coat of poly dry thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!! You're super creative! I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and I'd love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I'd also like to invite you to link your sweet creations up at my link party each Friday! Hope to see you there!!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrell,

    Thank you so much to be a follower of my blog. I am honored and excited, because you decided to come and visit. And of course I checked out your blog, which is really awesome and which I will follow. Now I need your help. Let me know what you are interested to read about? I have quite a few things up my sleeve.

    Take Care and Blessings

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you make the woodgraim look?? Did you hamd paimt it om?? It looks amazimg!! Sorry for the spellimg--a key ism't workimg.
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete