Friday, August 5, 2011

Nothing to talk about ..... The Idal Convention

A few days ago, I went to  the yearly decorative art convention in  Hampton Virginia. For me it was a great decision to pay the inexpensive registration fee, hotel cost and other incidentals. Just being with like minded artists inspired me. Beside this, it gave me a chance to see and learn what is going on in our industry.

 Although seeing some of my fellow artists and even a couple of old time students, I missed the educational booth of Modern Masters, and many other exhibitors. The past and the ever so present and exciting "buzz" is gone and lots of familiar faces were absent . We missed Martin Allan Hirsch and his fashion sense, in short..... nothing to talk about. The smoker benches were mostly empty. Naturally, I was there and I was able to entice some fellow smokers to have a seat. There were no cocktail hour  escapades and "deep" conversations. All this made me realize how this convention has decreased in size and participation. That is a shame. This yearly convention is important to all of us. It gives us the chance to get inspired, learn, exchange and much more. 
Discussing the situation with a friend, she told me" it's the sign of the times". I can't accept this, that's too easy and too uncommitted. The convention is our convention. We must support it or pretty soon we will not have a convention and that would be a shame.

I will be at the next convention which is going to be in Reno. I hope that you will be too.

Let's support IDAL and show up!!!

All my best,

0 comments :

Post a Comment