Thursday, July 8, 2010

From Europe with Love

Some of you know that I have an accent. It used to bother me so much, that I did not open my mouth for three months, working  the Clipper Lounge for Pan American. I just couldn't understand anything, especially the southern accents. Here I had 12 years of Oxford English in school, but it seemed that my parents wasted their money sending me to an expensive finishing school.


I am still bothered at times with my accent, however "Euro" seems to help my business.  However, sometimes I  still wind up with  the "Foot in Mouth" award. Luckily, people who know me, are patient  and know that I do not have a mean bone in my body.

Pet Peeves of my students:

  • B(P)lack meaning the color black
  • B(P)rick, meaning the brick on the wall
  • V(F)on, meaning part of my last name. People inadvertently ask me " From Where?" there are many more, so if you ever get to meet me, please be patient. I will love you for it.


 Heidi's Foot in mouth Awards.....

  • "Please don't bring your tennies to Europe! " - Well, did you know that we "dress up" to go on our obligatory Sunday walk. Even the woods have to bear our high heels. No jogging for us.

  • "How much did it cost" No problem in Europe to ask this. But never ever ask a Lady which perfume she is wearing.

  • Thank you Cards - None are sent, we say "Thank you" in person.

  • Sandwiches - we eat  open-faced sandwiches and that with knife and fork.
  • Knife and Fork We eat pizza pie, sandwiches and almost everything else  with knife and fork.

  • Napkins: We use cloth at home.

  • Fast Food: Still don't like it. The older generation sticks with "real" foods. The younger generation loves fast food. I guess you can call me "older"

  • Coffee: Is strong! I won't say anymore " Sorry, I ordered coffee and not tea" and  it is not refillable.Each cup is paid, so we only have one or two

  • Pastry Time: My favorite! It's 3pm and we have pastry or at least something sweet. Still do!!!
  • Evening Dinner: No Jeans allowed. Black Pants, blazer and  black shoes are preferred for men. Pant suits or better yet dresses for women. And...... no "casual Friday" in Europe.

  • First Name basis: It's Mr. & Mrs. in Europe.  You use  his/her first name if you are offered to do so. And only the elder person is offering it. If you are the younger person ,you are considered rude, should  you dare to say " Call me purple" . I still struggle at times to call someone by the first name, especially if he/she is older then me (everybody seems younger at this point). I just feel  if I do, I am disrespectful.

So you see, even though I am leaving here in this lovable and  blessed land,  the "Euro" is instilled in me.


And again, be patient - I always will love you for it



















3 comments :

  1. Too funny, thank you fro making me laugh. Definitely needed that today

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, I think you are doing darn good. Love your post, and yes we love you for saying P(b)rick. LOL,LOL.

    Thank for reminding me not to bring my tennis' took them out of my suit case and thank you so much for your travel advise, I am sure I am going to have a grand time exploring you "hunting grounds" Love you and loved the class. I am honored to know you.

    Love always

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I'm teaching in South Korea at the moment - so i fully understand the P (B) lack! haha I once went to a restaurant and asked "is it Pork?" the next thing she came running out with a Fork... haha ;)

    ReplyDelete