Saturday, January 25, 2014

Bringing a kitchen from the eighties to this century......done with paint.

As promised here is a project you can duplicate for little money.

Don't like your kitchen any longer? Here the step you can  take to re-design your habitat for little money. Only sweat, tears and blood. Yeah, we hate it,but with a tight budget, we are willing to invest those.

Here are the kitchen and dining room we were gong to start on.  The client had a proposal for $27,000.00 for the kitchen only. I suggested that I would do office, dining room, hallway, bathroom and bedroom for less. Well, I got the job.








An interior designer had suggested to take the wallpaper off, replace it with breadboard, replace the cabinets, re-do the beautiful wood floor,  and paint the walls. Looking at my client (now a  friend) I realized that she was not a breadboard kinda lady. Very pretty, slender(great figure) dressed elegant, sporty classic, not cutesie or fussy. Classic.... and that stuck to me.

As I looked around,  the ideas just came flowing. Where as the designer wanted to paint the kitchen a different color, I suggested to use one color for dining room, kitchen and hallway, but different techniques. That would ascertain that the whole area would seem to be much larger when done.I suggested my "old faithful" Tuscan plaster for kitchen and dining room, however, in the dining room I wanted to create an accent wall for additional interest.
In addition I wanted to eliminate the chair rail (open that place up!!!!), have crown molding installed, make a faux brick back splash and add a granite counter. Replace the furniture and the lighting, re-vamp the cabinets with a French Country finish, add window treatments and classic artwork. And that's what we did. What fun to work with this lady.

Here is the spacious NEW LOOK of this ignored space.

0 comments :

Post a Comment