Friday, January 24, 2014

Painting Upholstered Furniture


Wow, I am embarrassed and guilty. BUT, I just did not have time or energy, to enlighten you with my thoughts, work and ideas. I was several times in Germany last year, and going again this year. My health was dilapidated, doing much better now. I was in Dallas, teaching the Idal chapter. Met  wonderful faux finish artists and made new friends. Thank you IDAL Chapter Dallas/Ft. Worth.


Anyway, many of you know, that I am sharing my home with Bella




and my sweet cats "Bärli and "Sammy"





Don't' they look like they are "trouble free"?    NOT!!!!!


I don't believe in de-clawing my sweethearts, thus they developed a very bad habit. They are ripping my furniture to pieces. And that is like a thorn in my eyes.


After deciding not to order slipcovers, because they too would be ripped in a short while. I did what I know best. I decided to paint my upholstery. I am a firm believer, that everything can be painted.

Years ago I painted my kitchen counters and I really got in trouble for it. Colleagues, friends and family, claimed that I would poison them and that the finish would not last. Well, we know better now. My family is still kicking..... and the finish did last.

Back to my upholstery. I messed around with paint etc. and came up with a paint recipe, which I am still experimenting with. However, I did paint my chair and I love it. In the beginning the fabric was kind of stiff, but it has become much softer. The chair is very easy to keep clean(washable), feels kind of cold, like leather. I don't mind that. But, what I really, really love...... Bärli and Sammy  don't like the chair any longer. That is a great bonus. Pretty soon I will be working on the rest of my furniture. I will keep you posted.

Here the results:

Sorry my first banner!!!

 

First paint strokes. I am  wondering "is this crazy"? 

First coat completed. See all the rips and tears?

 

Second coat completed. Now I began to sand, sand, sand and applied an additional coat. Thoroughly sanded again. Never did I say, that it would go fast. Just to make sure I applied a fourth coat. And ....here it is......My new jewel!!!!  To all my friends, clients and colleagues......Guess you have to eat your words. LOL

 

I used Plaster of Paris, mixed it with Downy to a smooth paste (yoghurt), added it to flat paint to thicken the paint. Sprayed the furniture before painting with Fabric medium. Kept the furniture somewhat damp, so the paint would spread better. And sometimes, when I thought it was necessary I sprayed  the  still wet painted areas. 

In the meantime, I have started with my red couch and changed the recipe a little to

replacing the Downey and fabric medium with water. Stay tune......

Take care and be save, until next time.....

Heidi

PS: Preview.....I am bringing back a eighties kitchen to this Century......and mostly with paint


Before. Kitchen with oak cabinets, melamine counters and wallpaper.

 

Stay tune and see how this becomes an HGTV jewel












0 comments :

Post a Comment